Friday, December 22

The Blizzard of 2006!



We have 22 inches of snow at our house! This is the 3rd major blizzard I've experienced in 15 years living in Colorado. Each is locked into my memory.

In October 1997 I was stranded in Morrison at my good friend Mike Rock's coffee shop, The Rock Garden Cafe. It didn't take long to get cabin fever and end up outside wrestling in the snow and struggling to dig out my '87 Nissan pickup. In March 2003 I was safely at home with Luka, cooked a pot roast and watched the Iraq war begin on TV with neighbors Chris & Shelley. It took half a day to dig out my truck from 3 feet of snow (pre-garage).

On December 20th it was barely snowing when I went into the office; the weather was coming and I figured I'd leave early. From inside it was hard to tell how fast the snow was piling up. Everyone was told to head home for safety sake just before noon. Several people had a hard time getting their cars out of the parking lot. I proceeded on my usual route home but there were so many people getting stuck on hwy 36 and abandoning their vehicles that it took 2 hours to make it to the first exit away from the office. I exited and crossed to my second option which was also gridlock. Eventually I broke away onto side streets. Thanks to 4WD, high clearance and new snow tires which were installed the previous day I made it through the thick of it. In all it took me over 4 hours. I entertained my self talking on the phone, listening to the radio and with some enlightening philosophical/psychological theory CDs by Ken Wilber, The Integrated Operating System. After 2 hours I was losing patience, by the 3rd hour I was frustrated, moving into the 4th hour I was afraid I would never get home or run out of gas before I did. The one gas station I stopped at was out of fuel and closed. They let me in to use the restroom. I saw many people without cars who had been waiting for a bus which never came, walking in the whiteout blizzard with thin jackets and no gloves. I was very thankful to be warm and make it home safe.

Bisbee loves the snow and leaps or swims through it with glee. Yesterday I needed my snowshoes to take him on a walk. Neighbors were out in the streets shoveling, chatting and helping each other out. The sun is shining now... life will resume its regular fast pace. Everyone swirling around, gearing up for the holiday. I wish the world would slowdown like this more than once every few years. Peace.

No comments: