Before thoughts of Africa dissipate I pause to look at my inner conflict around how to help those suffering in a way that doesn't rob them of their cultural identity. Here I define suffering as lacking food, shelter, a general sense of safety, love and the option of considering happiness into the equation of daily choices.
Part of me wants to hold static the simple tribal bits of civilization left on our planet. To protect them from the invasion of spectators, technology and the modern tools that define my world. I long to see a woman dressed in handwoven fabric created with intention, cherished and cared for. I celebrate differences in music, clothing, housing, life style, language, and solutions to everyday needs. The kind of differences that define unique cultures. Yet it seems these differences, where they exist in a pronounced way, are often seen as symbols of lack or poverty during times of transition. And thus are not valued by those possessing them. How can the diverse beauty of our individual and collective humanity on this planet be preserved? Is it possible for those taking the leap out of poverty into a life of greater comforts to hold onto that which defines their beauty? In my dreams it is so.
Monday, December 22
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment