Sunday, December 27

Bird Watching

Sharing a snipit of an email sent to a friend today.  I woke up this morning to a flicker (woodpecker) knocking on my back door. I thought maybe some fool was doing construction on Sunday morning in 15 degree weather with eight inchs of snow on the ground. After I realized the sound was coming from the side of my house I peeked out the window. Nothing in sight, I slipped on my shoes and quietly opened the back door looking in the direction of the sound.  Directly above my door a male flicker was pecking at the brick. He eyeballed me. For a fraction of a second I stared at his rosy cheek before he flew to the power pole behind my house and watched me from a distance. Upon examining the area my feathered friend had been pecking I looked down and saw a perfectly subtle imprint of his body and wings in the snow on the patio table. Even birds make snow angels!


A few hours later I was walking with my dog Bisbee and spotted two red-tailed hawks soaring in the sky above. My heart grew so full of gratitude I felt it could burst. One landed on a tree top, puffed up his chest for a few moments before rejoining his partner floating in the sky above.

1 comment:

Roger Paul said...

Ah Nat, shades of Edger Allen Poe's the Raven. ..."While I nodded nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, as of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.....quoth the raven, nevermore."

Happy new year
rog