Thursday, February 18

Live In Person with President Obama

Before I was even out of bed this morning I had a phone call from Jamie inviting me to use her extra ticket to see President Obama speak at the Fillmore a relatively small music venue in Denver.  She gave me the heads up to ditch the purse for security ease and we'd be waiting in line outside to secure our general admission seats.  The Fillmore is on Colfax street, Denver's notoriously rougher artery that skirts the edge of downtown. Homelessness and prostitution beside tattoo parlors, run down bars, headshops sprinkled between fast food restaurants and sandwiched by 100 year old brick houses.  We waited for two hours in a line that wrapped around the block, hardy Coloradans standing out in 35 degree weather.  The event was Obama's endorsement of Michael Bennet for reelection as a Colorado Senator (see the local news) so every Democrat in the state was there: Congressman Jared Polis, Governor Bill Ritter, Senator Mark Udall, Lieutenant Governor Barbara O'Brien, and Denver Major/gubernatorial candidate John Hickenlooper.

Less than a week ago I was at this same venue rock'n out to Gov't Mule with Patricia and Marie. That night we were all smiles from the contact-high unlike the 'HOPE' high that I'm rolling on after being in the same room with the President of the United States.  I don't push my politics on anyone.  Bottom-line I believe most politicians are doing what 'they believe' is best (for the country or for themselves).  We all have different belief systems.  Obama's message wasn't anything new but he did make the point that he's fighting politics as usual in Washington and won't give up on making change happen.  I appreciated that Obama is capable of holding space for hope rather than getting dragged down into the mire.  He is a trustworthy man, confirmed by my firsthand read of his energy.  Let's hope he can point this massive ship in a positive direction.

It also makes me smile to know he met with His Holiness the Dalai Lama this morning before flying to Denver.

No comments: