Wednesday, September 19

Kuan Yin at the Fountain

My fountain felt naked without Buddha beside it so a week after the missing-in-meditation incident I made my way to Amato statuary a neighborhood landmark. Since Buddha had moved on of his own accord it felt natural to invite a new divinity to the environment… I fell in love with a wild, tranquil and seemingly ancient Kuan Yin statue sitting in the royal pose. Some have speculated that she may be a white or green Tara, both goddesses have associations with each other and are sweet symbols of the energy I would like in my life and home. Kuan Yin is most well known for her compassionate nature, embodiment of loving kindness. She provides protection and leads us to spiritual enlightenment. Tara also carries these gifts of compassion and protection but she has the warrior energy and is known for quickly coming to the aid of those who ask. She helps us find our way while traveling the world or seeking self-awareness in our spiritual path.

Amato delivered the large Kuan Yin statue; it took two big guys to put her in place. That evening I welcomed her with a candle lighting ceremony, hanging prayer flags, draping mala (prayer beads) around her neck and placing a rose before her feet. She sits dangling one foot over the pool of water at the base of the fountain. Neighbors Chris, Shelley and Zeke came down to celebrate her arrival, adding a strand of Mardi gras beads.

No comments: